Thursday, September 11, 2008

Entertaining Your Kids

I feel guilty when I just leave Mina to play with her toys and wander around the house. I'm not really good at unstructured play. I can only read so many books, sing so many songs, tickler her for so long. Maybe some people would say she's too young for structured play, but I feel better when she actually has something to do.

Here are my top favorite activities for Mina:

1. Sign her up for an affordable community class. Last month we were at a Parent and Child Music class at one of our local community center. At $50/mo, this once a week class was fun and Mina, being the youngest in the class, still thoroughly enjoyed it. I plan to enroll her in a baby gym class the end of this September.

2. My Kid's Clubhouse which is just several miles away from us. It's a good-sized indoor play area, with mazes, kiddie toys, snack bar, for $8 per play. It goes down to $6 if you're with a playgroup and and you can also get punch cards of a membership. It beats another play area, My Gym which charges an exorbitant amount in my opinion.

3. My mall has an indoor play area for little kids. Mina loved it at first, but I think she gets overwhelmed with the big kids that go there the last few times we went. I may have to take her in the morning only, when the bigger kids are usually at school and only the little ones are there.

4. Just let her roam around the mall. She loves walking now and sometimes even refuses to hold my hand. I have to tell her that she has to hold Mommy's hand and I make sure I have a tight grip.

5. We still have the outdoor parks, but I don't usually take her there anymore. She has tons of bungang araw (don't know the English translation) and so I try to avoid the sun for her nowadays. I could go early morning but -- I'm sorry baby -- I usually get up too late.


I've noticed that Mina is getting an attitude nowadays. I try to keep my calm because she mimics so much, I dont' want her to add any frustrated action I show to her repertoire. Right now she screams when frustrated, pulls on your face, or other parts of your body, squirms etc. And she gets frustrated often. I keep asking her, can I have my sweet baby back?

Here's Miss Attitude:


Attitude

2 comments:

Analyse said...

community activities like that are great because kids could mingle with other children their age. louna was enrolled in baby gym last semester but it was her yaya accompanying her. she's also attending a group where they do quite a lot of activities like drawing, coloring, preparing something for mama's/papa's day (tho i know that it was yaya who did most of the work, lol), listening to stories/music, etc..

now that she's not with her yaya anymore, i feel guilty that i dont know any activities i could propose her, lol, so i will enroll her to music for kids next week ;)

tintin said...

Oh your musical lil girl will surely enjoy the class!