Friday, January 16, 2009

Sleeping Blues

I have back issues. I hate to admit it because I sound so old! Only old people, and lame people talk about having back problems (no, you're not lame or old; I am).

Since I've had Mina though, my back has definitely grown weaker. I need to work out, maybe do Pilates and other strength training exercises. And I need a better bed. I have a firm mattress. I don't know if that's good for me. Maybe I need a softer one? I have no idea. I may have to get an evaluation with my chiropractor.

Aside from my back and bed not getting along, I have a thief in the night who continuously steals my sleep away. That would be a 32-inch, 17-month old, curly-haired terror (no, she's not reallyl a terror). My mom let Mina sleep next to her last week when I started school and I couldn't get home until 9:30 pm. BIG MISTAKE. Let me say that again, BIG MISTAKE!

Now all Mina wants is to sleep beside me. But does she stay sleeping next to me, unmoving, peacefully, like a normal person would? No, she squirms and kicks and pushes, and wakes up and then asks me to kiss and hug her about 20 times. Now I looove kissing and hugging her, but not at 2 in the morning.

If I had a lower bed, maybe I wouldn't mind having her in bed with me. I could get one of those low divan beds and I'd just roll off and lay on the floor and not worry she'll fall off. She can kick and squirm all she wants, and I'll just surround her by pillows. On second thought, a floor is harder than my mattress.

How do I get a better night's sleep!

What makes a good sleep? Does it matter what a bed looks like? In the beginning, yes, it does. They're definitely what gets you to buy them in the first place (and Time 4 Sleep has a wide selection of pretty beds; too bad they're in the UK).

In the end though, what matters is whether you have a good mattress and whether you have an agreeable bed partner.

6 comments:

lissa said...

OH man I'm sorry to hear that Tin. So she doesn't like her crib right now? About the bed, I think it's really important to have a good mattress. We didn't care what type of mattress we had before but as I got older (ha!), we thought it was time to invest in a nicer bed. Ours is medium firm I would say. If your back is bothering you, I think a firm one should be good. Does your mom get sleep with Mina beside her? I can't sleep with Connor for the same reason you just mentioned.

tintin said...

Hi Geri, thanks for the suggestions. Since that night, I am trying to get Mina to like her crib again.

She wakes up screaming at me about twice a night now that she's in her crib. Thankfully nothing past 12 am. But she will wake up about an hour later, and then closer to midnight screaming "Mommy, sleep!" pointing at the bed! Hahah.

Lissa: I know what you mean about investing in a good mattress. But I think it is a matter of strenghtening my back too.

My mom says she gets sleep but she has never spent a full nigh with Mina. I get her when I come home no matter what time.

Tanya said...

hey Tin!

You might want to try a tempurpedic bed.. nick and I had back problems
cause of our old bed.. you have to get the right softness or firmness and you have three to choose from. Since getting the bed nick and I have been sleeping well and no back problems.

as for your cute squirmy baby.. the tempurpedic won't be good 'cause the bed won't be bouncing like crazy while she is moving.

as for trying to get her to sleep.. i honestly don't have an answer to that. hahaha!

for your back... you might want to try a chiropractor.. or take up pilates so that your back would be stronger. I would suggest capoeira but it might be too strenuous for you. My back (and butt) is stronger because of it though. :)

tintin said...

Tanya I took a pilates class and I love it. I want and plan to incorporate it into my sched now!

WanderWish said...

You know, Aeyen does that sometimes too--wake up in the middle of the night screaming blue murder and pointing to the door.

After trying to coax her nicely her to go back to bed and after making sure there is no other reason for the crying except wanting to be in bed with us, I take the mean route. I hate to admit it, but I give her wailing mouth a finger flick and tell her firmly that she needs to sleep in her own bed. Obviously, she cries more but then I just leave her.

After a while, she gets the idea and starts whimpering until she falls back to sleep.

I know it sounds mean and believe me, I feel guilty about it sometimes and I so understand it's not for everyone, but it works for me--and thank God it doesnt happen too often! I hate inflicting pain on her!

tintin said...

Beth, I can't do it. I give in for now because, I don't know, I'm so lonely without her Daddy! I have this illusion that she'll be great to cuddle with. It all comes crashing down as she continues to squirm next to me an hour later.

Haaaay!