Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Worry Never Ends With a Child

I don't know why I ever worried about Mina being fat before. Babies are supposed to be fat! If a mom isn't worrying about her baby being skinny, she worries that her child is on its way to experience the cruelest teasing from her or his classmate about their overweightness by having the tiniest bit of extra fat.

I'm serious. I just watched a show on FitTv.com where this obese mom watered down her baby daughter's milk because she doesn't want her daughter to be overweight. I think the baby was less than a year old.

So I never watered down Mina's milk, but I worried she was on the path to weight problems. See, I hadn't watched my diet when I was pregnant with her as close as I would have liked. I gained 40 lbs. To me, that was a heck of a lot. And I ate fried foods. I couldn't help it, I was craving fried chicken strips from Chili's all the time! So Mina came out bigger than any baby in my family had come out. 8 lbs. 3 oz. Nice and healthy right? I couldn't be happy, I had to worry.

Now Mina's leaning towards being a skinny string bean at 1 year old. Boy, my breastmilk must have packed a punch. We can't seem to feed her anything that will put some fat back in her bones. She's 21 lbs. 6 oz at her 1 year check up. Based on projections, she should have tripled her baby weight. She's missing an extra 3 lbs.

And still I worry, though she's fine on the charts of normalcy. I think it's a parent's perogative. If she were to gain weight and keep gaining, I would probably swing to the other side of the pendulum again.

She has a runny nose now too. I'm sure if I tried hard enough, I could come up with a terrible thing to worry about that might be causing this runny nose.

1 comment:

Analyse said...

goodluck mommy! if she's still on the normal range of weight gain, there's nothing to worry about.