Monday, December 3, 2007

My Thoughts on Spanking

Answering a question posed by Rhada and Sunshine4Life.

I was spanked as a child. I had one of those wooden back scratchers -- with an indian head design on the scratching portion -- used on me. I can still envision that indian head with its insidious smile. It finally got broken spanking me one time. I was partially raised by my aunts, and they, along with my mom, wholeheartedly believed in spanking. As the recipient of the spankings, I didn't.

I can never say never of course. Perhaps a couple of years from now, one frustrating afternoon when Mina finally gets on my last nerve, I may take a swipe at her butt. What I plan to keep in mind though, is how young and helpless I felt being spanked as a child. How terrorized. Because the spankings usually happened when the spanker was angry at me. I hope I have the resolve never to resort to the same angry spankings I received. I know I turned out well, and I don't hold a grudge against my mom and aunts for spanking me; it was what was done in the family. But I can't quite stand the thought of spanking my little girl.

So in summary, my plan is to spare the rod right now.

6 comments:

ScroochChronicles said...

I don't agree with the whole spanking thing too. I had my fair share of butt-whacking when I was a kid but it was always followed by the "talk". In hindsight, I think it was the "talk" that really got the job done and not the spanking.

Sunshinelene said...

hi tin, tagged u too about this. but this is ok now. your thoughts are appreciated. :)

http://midlifedancing.blogspot.com/2007/12/tag-to-cane-or-not-to-cane.html

raqgold said...

i didnt really thought about spanking or not spanking when i started raising my kids... i was also spanked as a child. did i promise not spank the kids? i dont think so. if they are really super kulit and cant be stopped by gentle nudging and talks, i give them a tap too. and then i talk to them afterwards. communicating with them afterwards would tell them those taps are done not because we dont love them but because we dont like what they did.

Vicky said...

hi tin, thanks for leaving a comment on one of my blogs- mina has grown really well. on this day and age, spanking is no longer acceptable as there are other courses of discipline. i am guilty though- i spanked my kids more as a warning to an impending danger e.g. when ray ran across a road without waiting for me when he was 4 years old..i gave him a smack on the bum and reprimanding him-don't do that again or you will be killed! I am not at all for spanking using a whip/stick/slippers etc..as this is now using an instrument that will cause bodily crime...this is a crime now in australia.

Hazel aka Zizzy said...

aye aye i agree with you tin. I had my more than fair share of spanking when i was young and unlike you though, it left me with resentment and although i know it's wrong to hate your parents, for a long time i did because of those.

I don't spank my son and just like you i can never say never but i know whenever i feel like losing it, the terror and helplessness i felt like a child suddenly wakes me up and reminds me to NOT do it.

yanmaneee said...

hermes
balenciaga speed
golden goose
mbt
jordan 11
converse
air jordans
lebron shoes
golden goose
golden goose