Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Baby Gear Review

I know first-hand how helpful gear reviews can be. The manufacturers and sellers can hype their goods all they want, but getting an honest to goodness first-hand account of how a product performed is a gem. Well, for me, anyway. I have read, and keep reading baby gear reviews. I mean, if we’re gonna spend so much on our little ones, might as well spend it on gear we know we’ll like, or at least have a good idea of how it will perform.

I don’t claim to have first-hand knowledge of every baby gear out there. All products will be products I’ve tried myself and I no, I haven’t tried them all. I’ll keep updating this as my little one grows.

  1. Boppy Pillow versus My Best Friend Pillow.
    1. It’s hard to declare a winner because each has its pros and cons. For nursing my baby the first two months of her life, the My Best Friend pillow wins out. Its sturdier, and better-shaped to hold my baby, plus it stays put because it belts around your waist. The Boppy kept sliding and shifting. I had the Boppy first and had to buy the Best Friend later when the Boppy didn’t work quite like I hoped.
    2. For longevity, I think the Boppy wins out. I’ve used it to prop my baby up in bed while she’s awake, and while she’s been congested and needed to be reclined so she could breathe better. I can see her using this pillow as she grows. I sometimes even use it to cuddle with in bed. Because my baby is so big now, she can sort of sit up while nursing, and the Best Friend has been relegated to the baby’s closet.
    3. I’ve heard from others though that have made the Boppy work for nursing. If you can make it work, then great. If not, buy both? :)
  1. Bassinet – put this on your registry list or buy it used on Craigslist. I got mine as a baby shower gift. Mina used it about ten times and I have sold it on Craigslist since. She just didn’t like it. We ended up co-sleeping. Bassinets don’t have the same safety issues as cribs so it’s okay to buy it used. In any case, no need to drop $ on a new one. They will not use it long anyway. It is recommended that you stop using a bassinet once a baby can turn over or exceeds 15 lbs. I used Kolcraft Cuddle 'n Care™ Rocking Bassinet.
  1. Bottles, if nursing. You will need bottles even if you’re nursing. Buy or register for bottles with nipples that are shaped close to a mother’s nipple. The ones shaped most like a nipple confused my baby the least. Every baby is different though so you may want to try different nipples to see which one your baby handles best. Mine liked Playtex Ventaire’s Stage 1 nipples, and she uses the wide regular bottles when at daycare.
  1. Breast Pump. I used Medela Pump-in-style. The system is great for moms who pump at work. For occasional use though, buy something that is less heavy. Mine is supposed to weigh 15 lbs but feels much heavier. Other than that, this product performs very well. I feel good walking around downtown with the stylish black case.
  1. Storage for breast milk. I bought Medela storage containers. It’s the cloud plastic type and I’m not that happy with it. I bought it because the bottles go with the pump I purchased. But when stored, the cream separates from the milk, and it cakes the insides of the container. Shaking does not easily settle the cream back in. You’d have to warm the milk in that container, and then transfer to the bottle your baby is using, or use the nipple that comes with it (which I don’t like). I keep thinking she’s missing something important when I can still see gobs of cream left in the storage container.
If you plan to buy storage, experts recommend glass, apparently safer than plastic; or those clear plastic ones. If you’ve ever seen a Dr. Brown’s Natural bottle, it is that type of plastic I’m talking about. I’ve used my Dr. Brown bottles as storage and the milk doesn’t stick as fanatically to the sides as the cloudy plastics.

  1. Chicco Key Fit Travel system with both stroller and car seat. They work great. I wish the stroller would fold down more compactly and that there were more room in the cargo holder. I love the stroller though, for its maneuverability, suspension system, and light weight. My complaint about the car seat is that it doesn’t have a hook on the bottom of the car seat. When you go to restaurants, they need to have a sling or your car seat ends up going on a sometimes too tiny chair. It’s a big car seat. Other car seats I’ve seen have these indentations on the bottom so you can safely prop it on a high chair at most restaurants. The bottoms align with the high chair backs and fronts. I’ll take a picture later for illustration purposes. You know what though, I feel Mina is safer in a sling anyway.


Wow, this is getting long! I’ll get a part two later.

1 comment:

Mommy Chi said...

made a similar list like yours: http://mommychi.blogspot.com/2007/09/entry-124-on-10-baby-things-i-couldnt.html

- gavin's also using the playtex ventaire although some friends got bottles of different brands.

- gavin also has the kolcraft bassinet although he rarely slept on it. he'd rather sleep beside me. i still have mine here since my sister-in-law wants to have it when she has her baby.